Acrylic Flower Printing
This guide shows a fun and easy art project to do at home. It is written by one of our artist ambassadors Claire Boelema. Enjoy and feel the creativity.
Acrylic Paint Heliograph /Sun Printing
This is a quick and easy project that both kids and adults can do. The key to achieving a good result is to keep things simple, work quickly and don’t focus too much on achieving a perfect result. The finished pieces can be stand alone works of art, cut down and made into Artist Trading Cards or greeting cards. Used as a background for a mixed media pieces or even photographed and the image edited to create additional images using selected areas.
I found that using different amounts of water to increase or decrease the viscosity of the paint and the technique used to wet the paper gave differing results. It also became apparent that some textures and materials gave better results than others.
Whilst I have done this technique in the past using acrylic inks and liquid watercolours, I’ve never used acrylic paints. Due to the Covid-19 restrictions, acrylic paints were all I had access to, so I decided to experiment with the mediums available.
- Mix your chosen acrylic paints with water until they are the consistency of milk or double cream.
- Tape the watercolour paper onto a board. If you have gummed paper use that, if not washi tape or masking tape will be fine.
- Wet the paper thoroughly either by soaking in a tray or brushing/sponging with water. I ran out of tape on my final attempt so simply soaked the paper in a tray of water and laid it onto my mat.
- Place a colour wash over the paper.
- Drop, brush, and splash additional colours onto the piece.
- Working quickly, wet the foliage or card shapes with water and arrange on the paper.
- Place the project in a sunny place and allow to dry thoroughly.
- Remove the shapes and tape from the paper.
If you decide to give this technique a try why not share it on the Zieler social media platforms. Tag us in your artwork @zielerartsupplies and join the community.
Paint By Numbers Guide: 9 Steps to Creating Your Masterpiece Table of Contents Welcome to the world of paint by numbers! This fun and
An Introduction to Acrylic Paint & How to Get the Best From It Table of Contents Loved by artists and crafters all over the world,
Acrylic Varnish Spray: The Best Way to Protect Your Art Paintings Table of Contents As an artist, we know you have taken great time and